Policies and Procedures
Please read the following information before making a writing appointment at the bottom of the page.
UWC is for undergraduate students and GWC is for graduate students at NC State. Please adhere to the following policies in order to ensure that we can continue to serve as many NC State students as possible.
- Appointments may be scheduled for 30 minutes or 60 minutes.
- Working time for 30-minute session: 25 minutes
- Working time for 60-minute session: 55 minutes
- Students can schedule appointments for up to 1 hour per day and up to 3 hours per week
- Appointments can be scheduled up to 2 weeks in advance.
- Appointments must be cancelled 12 hours or more before the scheduled appointment start time to avoid penalty. Please refer to your email appointment confirmation for the cancellation link.
- All members of a group must be present when working on a group project.
- Please contact the ASC at (919) 515-3163 to make same day changes to your appointment. Requests to move the session from in-person to online must be made at least 2 hours in advance of the appointment start time.
Additional expectations for Zoom sessions:
- Ensure you’re logged in via your NC State account
- Have your camera on for the duration of the appointment
- Make sure you can screen share your materials
Loss of Tutoring Privileges
Two “no-shows” in one semester will result in a loss of privileges and students must meet with the ASC writing coordinator to have privileges reinstated. Two no-shows in a single semester will have an impact on the use of writing programs in future semesters because two no-shows remain on record until resolved. If only one no-show is received, the no-show count will reset at the beginning of the following semester.
No shows will be received for the following:
- Staying for less than 20 minutes for a 30 minute appointment
- For example, arriving more than 10 minutes late or leaving more than 10 minutes early
- Staying for less than 45 minutes for a 60 minute appointment
- For example, arriving more than 15 minutes late or leaving more than 15 minutes early
- Missing an appointment without canceling
- Canceling less than 12 hours before the scheduled appointment start time
- Failing to follow expectations for Zoom sessions
Schedule a writing appointment using:
Need help now? Browse our online resources.