The Academic Success Center recruits both peer tutors and mentors every semester. Both positions are on-campus, paid opportunities for students who enjoy helping their peers be academically successful. The first step in the application process is to attend an information session.
ASC tutor recruitment for Spring 2021 positions has concluded. Please check back in March for information regarding summer and fall 2021 opportunities.
Peer Tutors support the following courses:
- CH 100, 101, 111, 201, 220, 221, 223
- MA 107, 108, 111, 114, 121, 131, 141, 231, 241, 242
- PY 131, 205, 208, 211, 212
Peer Mentors support the following skills (non-content specific):
- Time management
- Active Study Skills
- Note taking
- Test taking strategies
|PEER TUTOR||PEER MENTOR|
|One-on-one meetings||One-on-one meetings|
|May see different students every week||See same students (~4) every week|
|Will set schedule at beginning of semester and tutor in the ASC||Provide ASC with availability and be matched with mentees|
|Students will schedule own appointments||Location and times determined by mentor and student|
|Tutoring provided in a specific course||Not course-specific|
- Have completed at least one full semester at NC State by the start of the first semester of employment
- Be an enrolled full-time undergraduate student with at least a 3.250 cumulative GPA
- Be a model student with a desire to help others learn
- Enroll in USC 210, a 1 credit hour training course during your first semester of employment
- Work at least 4 hours per week for two consecutive semesters
- Have earned a B+ or higher in the course(s) you wish to tutor (tutors only)
Email the Academic Success Center or call 919.515.3163.