The Academic Success Center recruits both peer tutors and mentors every semester. Both positions are on-campus, paid opportunities for students who enjoy helping their peers be academically successful. The first step in the application process is to attend an information session.
Summer and Fall 2022 Employment Information Sessions
Employment Information Sessions for the Summer 2022 term have concluded.
Please check back in July for information regarding Fall 2022 hiring opportunities.
Peer Tutors support the following courses:
- CH 100, 101, 111, 201, 220, 221, 223
- MA 107, 108, 111, 114, 121, 131, 141, 231, 241, 242
- PY 131, 205, 208, 211, 212
- ACC 210, 220
- BIO 181, 183
- EC 201, 202, 205
- ST 311
Peer Mentors support the following skills (non-content specific):
- Time management
- Active Study Skills
- Note taking
- Test taking strategies
|PEER TUTOR||PEER MENTOR|
|One-on-one meetings||One-on-one meetings|
|May see different students every week||See same students (~4) every week.|
|Will set schedule at beginning of semester and tutor in the ASC||Provide ASC with availability and be matched with mentees|
|Students will schedule own appointments||Location and times determined by mentor and student|
|Tutoring provided in a specific course||Not course-specific|
|Hired for Summer or Fall 2022 semesters||Hired for Fall 2022 semester|
- Have completed at least one full semester at NC State by the start of the first semester of employment
- Be an enrolled full-time undergraduate student with at least a 3.250 cumulative GPA
- Be a model student with a desire to help others learn
- Enroll in USC 210, a 1 credit hour training course during your first semester of employment
- Work at least 4 hours per week for two consecutive semesters
- Have earned a B+ or higher in the courses you wish to tutor (tutors only)
- Peer Mentors must be Second Year students and above
Email the Academic Success Center or call 919.515.3163.